Vacationers looking for affordable and free things to do in New Jersey vacation spots need look no further. There are plenty of events and attractions to enjoy for free on Atlantic City vacations. We have the perfect activities in mind for cost-conscious visitors, who want to have fun at a great value.
From free events and attractions such as the Atlantic City Airshow, to events that cost less than the price of a movie ticket or even just hanging out on one of the top East Coast beaches, there are plenty of free things to do with kids or friends in Atlantic City. Here’s a list of some of the most fun free things to do in New Jersey – all right here in Atlantic City just waiting for visitors to explore.
|DO FREE IN AC
- Atlantic City Beaches - No beach fees EVER! Breathe in the salty air or take a walk on our clean and white sandy beaches with free access!
- Atlantic City Airshow - "A Salute to Those That Serve" blasts through the skies August 21 and is one of the most popular free things to do in New Jersey.
- AC Boardwalk - Is the perfect place to stroll anytime, or ride bicycles 6 AM - 12 Noon, May through September. Extended hours of 6:00 AM to noon and 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM, October through April.
- Bass Pro Shops - Bass Pro Shops has a 13,000 gallon fresh water fish tank featuring fish found in and around New Jersey and murals depicting wildlife and natural scenes from the Atlantic City region.
- Boardwalk Hall Pipe Organ Tour and Recital - Boardwalk Hall houses the largest musical instrument on earth. More powerful than a dozen orchestras, it can both whisper and thunder into the 5.5 million cubic feet of air space in the main arena.
- DO AC Boardwalk Summer Entertainment - Kennedy Plaza is once again abuzz with daily entertainment. From Broadway stars performing show tunes to party bands, jazz concerts and more there is something for everyone and extended into September.
- Gardner’s Basin Concerts – Historic Gardner's Basin offers an all-star lineup of some of the most soulful entertainers of the 70's and 80's. The festivities include local food and merchandise vendors.
- Gene London's Golden Age of Hollywood Fashion Exhibit - The exhibit is on display in suite 320 at the Tanger Outlets The Walk, next to Levi's. Admission is free!
- Historic Smithville and Village Greene - This historic village offers more than 40 unique shops, wonderful dining, lodging, a train, a carousel, paddle boats, festivals and live music.
- Live at 5 Concert Series - Dance as if no one is watching as Marsolluna + Co presents the Live @ 5 Concert Series at Tanger Outlets.
- Movies Under the Stars - Bring a chair or blanket, a soft drink and popcorn and enjoy a free evening out.
The movies are rated for family viewing.
- The Atlantic City Experience - Located in the lobby of Jim Whelan Boardwalk Hall explore the history of Atlantic City via a dynamic and vibrant exhibit located steps off the boardwalk.
- Korean War Memorial - Honors the contribution made to help gain freedoms for both the U.S. and South Korea, and Civil Rights Garden symbolizing the passion of the human spirit.
- SatARTdays! - A free Saturday art program for children at the Noyes Arts Garage of Stockton University. Registration required.
- Wind Farm Tours - ACUA (Atlantic County Utilities Authority) offers free open house tours of the Jersey-Atlantic Wind Farm every Monday and Friday at 12 p.m. through August 30. No appointment necessary!
|DO $10 AND UNDER
- Absecon Lighthouse - Tallest lighthouse in New Jersey - open for climbing 228 steps to the top.
- Atlantic City Aquarium - Ocean oddities, sharks, sea anemones and more at Gardner's Basin.
- Bicycle Rentals - Permitted on the Boardwalk between 6:00 am and 10am daily May through September. Extended hours October through April.
- Boardwalk Arcades - A roll of quarters goes a long way at the many arcades and amusement facilities along the Boardwalk and at other locations.
- Central Pier Arcade and Speedway- Features one of the largest over and under racetracks with NASCAR-style go karts.
- Forsythe Wildlife Refuge - 43,000 acres of protected coastal habitat and nature trails in Galloway, New Jersey.
- Jitney - Take a ride on an iconic Atlantic City Jitney. The small green and white buses operate throughout the city and to and from the airport.
- Lucy the Elephant - Restored giant historic landmark first built in 1884, open for tours in Margate, New Jersey.
- Miniature Golf - 18 holes of world-class mini golf at AC's premier course on the Boardwalk at Mississippi.
- Noyes Arts Garage of Stockton University - Fine art, crafts and folk art exhibits and home to the African American Heritage Museum, Mississippi and Fairmount Avenues.
- Rainforest Café - Part tropical rainforest, part restaurant, with sweet treats for the kids and menu.
- Rolling Chair Ride - See the Boardwalk sites being pushed by an attendant (fee based on distance).
- Skate Zone - Cool off on the Flyers Skate Zone ice rink as you skate or play ice hockey.
- Tram rides on the Boardwalk - Low cost alternative to getting around on the Atlantic City Boardwalk.
- Tuckerton Seaport Museum - Working maritime museum with folk artisans and entertainment in Tuckerton, New Jersey.
- The Wheel at Steel Pier - The Wheel offers breathtaking views of the City and the Atlantic Ocean. At 227 feet tall it features 40 temperature-controlled gondolas that each hold 6 passengers.
- Wetlands Institute - Guided beach walks, back bay boat rides, kayaking, animal shows and more in Cape May County.
- Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center - Glass, ceramic, flamework, woodcarving artists at work in Millville, New Jersey.
|DO $20 AND UNDER
- AC Cruises - Back bay cruises, dolphin-watching trips or sunset happy hour cruises aboard Cruisin' 1.
- A.J. Meerwald - NJ's Official Tall Ship offers sailing trips and classes from the Ferry Terminal in Cape May.
- Historic Cold Spring Village- Open-air hands-on early American living history museum in Cape May County.
- Jersey Shore Tours - Offers walking tours of beaches, buildings, and Boardwalks in Atlantic City and Ocean City.
- IMAX Theater at Tropicana - Sit back, relax and enjoy a larger-than-life movie releases.
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! - Popular odditorium and museum of weirdness for kids of all ages.
- Steel Pier - AC's landmark amusement pier on the Boardwalk with thrill rides and games of chance. While there take a spin on The Wheel or throw an axe at AC Axe & Pub (21 or older)!
- The Boardwalk Pool - Open Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 4 PM (summer months). $20 admission for non-hotel guests.