Vacationers looking for
free and affordable family fun in New Jersey need look no further than the many things to do in Atlantic City. In fact, there are plenty of events and attractions to enjoy for free on Atlantic City vacations. We have the perfect
New Jersey kids’ activities in mind for cost-conscious visitors, who want to have fun at a great value.
From free events and attractions such as the Atlantic City Airshow, to events that cost less than the price of a movie ticket or even just hanging out on one of the top East Coast beaches
, there are plenty of free Atlantic City, New Jersey kids’ activities
. Here’s a list of some of the most affordable ways to find family fun in New Jersey – all right here in Atlantic City just waiting for visitors to explore.
Unlocking the Ocean
April 15, 2013
So you know Atlantic City is ready for summer fun, an honored annual tradition demonstrates it for you...
Mayfest in Smithville
April 15, 2013
Mayfest at Historical Smithville offers an abundance of family fun. There are more than 100 vendors, great food...
April 15, 2013
No more teachers, no more books – it’s the official beginning of summer and the end of the school year!
|DO FREE IN AC|
- Atlantic City Beaches – no beach fees (a rarity in NJ)
- The Atlantic City Airshow "Thunder Over the Boardwalk" blasts through the skies and is one of the most popular free things to do in New Jersey.
- The AC Boardwalk is the perfect place to stroll anytime, or ride bicycles (6am - 10am)
- The Atlantic City Free Public Library's International Night Series brings music and dance from around the globe to Kennedy Plaza on the Boardwalk during the summer months. All shows are free.
- Crafters Village at Gardner’s Basin – stroll the docks in this historic back bay area, window shop at the unique craft shops, visit the AC Aquarium for a small fee.
- "Duality" Light Show at Boardwalk Hall, featuring 3D video technology, stunning animation and an original music score. Every night, after dark. Free.
- Farmers Market at Center City Park during the summer season where local farmers bring fresh fruit, vegetables and flowers and craft vendors offer their wares for sale.
- Korean War Memorial honors the contribution made to help gain freedoms for both the U.S. and South Korea, and Civil Rights Garden symbolizing the passion of the human spirit.
- Movies Under the Stars - Free movies at various locations on the beach throughout the summer months. Bring your blanket, beach chairs and picnic baskets for family-friendly theatrical entertainment.
- The Pier Shops (3rd Level) – Hit the Adirondack chairs on the fake sandy beaches on rainy days or when you want the best seat in the house for a sunset over Atlantic City.
- The Water Show at the end of The Pier Shops, with dazzling illuminated water effects every hour on the hour, Boardwalk level at the ocean end of the building.
- Wind Farm Tours - ACUA (Atlantic County Utilities Authority) offers free open house tours of the Jersey-Atlantic Wind Farm every Monday and Friday at 12 p.m. during the summer. No appointment necessary!
|DO $10 AND UNDER|
- Absecon Lighthouse - Tallest lighthouse in New Jersey - open for climbing 228 steps to the top
- Atlantic City Aquarium - Ocean oddities, sharks, sea anemones and more at Gardner's Basin
- Bicycle rentals - Permitted on the Boardwalk between 6:30 am and 10am daily
- Boardwalk Arcades - A roll of quarters goes a long way at Central Pier or Playcade arcades
- Forsythe Wildlife Refuge- 43,000 acres of protected coastal habitat and nature trails
- Haunted Tales - Theater of animated local folklore featuring pirates and the Jersey Devil
- Historic Cold Spring Village - Open-air hands-on Early American living history museum
- Identity: An Exhibition of You - Explore the elements in your life that make you 'tick' at Trump Plaza
- Lucy the Elephant - Restored giant historic landmark first built in 1884, open for tours
- Marine Mammal Stranding Center- Rescues and rehabilitates stranded mammals and sea turtles
- Miniature Golf - 18 holes of world-class mini golf at AC's premier course on the Boardwalk at Mississippi
- Noyes Museum of Art- Fine art, crafts and folk art exhibits with a focus on the mid-Atlantic region
- Rainforest Café - Part tropical rainforest, part restaurant, with sweet treats for the kids for under $5!
- Rolling chair ride - See the Boardwalk sites being pushed by an attendant (fee based on distance)
- Skate Zone - Cool off on the Flyers Skate Zone ice rink as you skate or play ice hockey
- Tuckerton Seaport Museum - Working maritime museum with folk artisans and entertainment
- Wetlands Institute - Guided beach walks, back bay boat rides, kayaking, animal shows and more
- Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center - Glass, ceramic, flamework, woodcarving artists at work
|DO $20 AND UNDER|
- AC Cruises - Back bay cruises, dolphin-watching trips or sunset happy hour cruises aboard Cruisin' 1
- A.J. Meerwald - NJ's Official Tall Ship offers sailing trips and classes while in Atlantic City waters
- Great American Trolley Tours - Take one of GA's fun trolley tours of the Jersey Shore
- IMAX Theater at Tropicana - Sit back, relax and enjoy a larger-than-life movie releases
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! - Popular odditorium and museum of weirdness for kids of all ages
- Steel Pier - AC's landmark amusement pier on the Boardwalk with thrill rides and games of chance
- Storybook Land - Just outside of AC (and just over $20), amusement park based on nursery rhymes