Vacationers looking for
free and affordable family fun in New Jersey need look no further than the many things to do in Atlantic City.
Along with one of the top East Coast beaches
, there are plenty of events and attractions to enjoy for free or
less than the price of a movie ticket. Here’s a list of some of the most affordable ways to find family fun for cost-conscious visitors who want to have fun at a great value.
Indoor Auto Racing Fun for the Whole Family!
October 22, 2013
Catch annual indoor racing action at its best with souped-up go karts at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall.
This Christmas Murder Mystery Dinner serves a Delicious Twist
November 22, 2013
Join us for a Christmas murder mystery dinner with your favorite fictional characters!
Treat the Family to Fun with Magic Shows in Atlantic City!
November 22, 2013
Want to catch great magic or comedy shows in AC? Joe Holiday puts on one of the best fun, family-friendly magic shows in Atlantic City.
|DO FREE IN AC
- Atlantic City Beaches – no beach fees (a rarity in NJ)
- Atlantic City Airshow soars over the skies of the AC coastline every summer and is one of the most popular free things to do in New Jersey.
- The AC Boardwalk is the perfect place to stroll anytime, or ride bicycles (6am - 10am in season)
- ArtLantic brings art outdoors for public exhibitions at sites around Atlantic City, including 7-acre site at Pacific Ave and Martin Luther King Blvd., and California Ave and the Boardwalk.
- The Atlantic City Farmer's Market Thursday & Saturday from 9am - 3pm, at Center City Park, 1200 Atlantic Ave, Atlantic City. Local fruit, produce, and live music every Thursday.
- Crafters Village at Gardner’s Basin – stroll the docks in this historic back bay area, window shop at the unique craft shops, or visit the AC Aquarium for a small fee.
- "AC Dreamin'" Light Show at Boardwalk Hall, featuring 3D video technology, stunning animation and an original music score spanning the history of music. Every night, after dark. Free.
- Korean War Memorial honors the contribution made to help gain freedoms for both the U.S. and South Korea, and Civil Rights Garden symbolizing the passion of the human spirit.
- The Pier Shops (3rd Level) – Hit the Adirondack chairs on the fake sandy beaches on rainy days or when you want the best seat in the house for a sunset over Atlantic City's skyline. Watch the dazzling illuminated Water Show that takes place every hour at the ocean end of the Pier.
- Wind Farm Tours - ACUA (Atlantic County Utilities Authority) offers free open house tours of the Jersey-Atlantic Wind Farm every Monday and Friday at 12 pm during the summer. No appointment necessary!
|DO $10 AND UNDER
- Absecon Lighthouse - Tallest lighthouse in New Jersey - open for climbing 228 steps to the top
- Atlantic City Aquarium - Ocean oddities, sharks, sea anemones and more at Gardner's Basin
- Bicycle rentals - Permitted on the Boardwalk between 6:30 am and 10am daily
- Boardwalk Arcades - A roll of quarters goes a long way at Central Pier or Playcade arcades
- Forsythe Wildlife Refuge- 43,000 acres of protected coastal habitat and nature trails
- Haunted Tales - Theater of animated local folklore featuring pirates and the Jersey Devil
- Historic Cold Spring Village - Open-air hands-on Early American living history museum
- James' Salt Water Taffy - Tour the factory where the original salt water taffy is made
- Lucy the Elephant - Restored giant historic landmark first built in 1884, open for tours
- Marine Mammal Stranding Center- Rescues and rehabilitates stranded mammals and sea turtles
- Miniature Golf - 18 holes of world-class mini golf at AC's premier course on the Boardwalk at Mississippi
- Noyes Museum of Art - Fine art, crafts and folk art exhibits with a focus on the mid-Atlantic region
- Rainforest Café - Part tropical rainforest, part restaurant, with sweet treats for the kids for under $5!
- Rolling chair ride - See the Boardwalk sites being pushed by an attendant (fee based on distance)
- Skate Zone - Cool off on the Flyers Skate Zone ice rink as you skate or play ice hockey
- Tuckerton Seaport Museum - Working maritime museum with folk artisans and entertainment
- Wetlands Institute - Guided beach walks, back bay boat rides, kayaking, animal shows and more
- Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center - Glass, ceramic, flamework, woodcarving artists at work
|DO $20 AND UNDER
- AC Cruises - Back bay cruises, dolphin-watching trips or sunset happy hour cruises aboard Cruisin' 1
- A.J. Meerwald - NJ's Official Tall Ship offers sailing trips and classes while in Atlantic City waters
- Great American Trolley Tours - Take one of GA's fun trolley tours of the Jersey Shore
- IMAX Theater at Tropicana - Sit back, relax and enjoy a larger-than-life movie releases
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! - Popular odditorium and museum of weirdness for kids of all ages
- Steel Pier - AC's landmark amusement pier on the Boardwalk with thrill rides and games of chance
- Storybook Land - Just outside of AC (and just over $20), amusement park based on nursery rhymes