Back to AC Stories
10 Reasons To Forget About Counting Calories
When willpower is at an all-time low it is pointless to even try to resist temptation. That’s the time to indulge your sweet tooth with some of Atlantic City’s tastiest, to-die-for sweets and treats. One bite of decadent desserts, toothsome candies and specialty pastries will have you tossing that calorie counter and succumbing to your favorite guilty pleasures. Here are ten really good reasons to throw self-control to the winds and put off your diet until tomorrow:
- Crispy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside of the Crispy Banana Spring Rolls at Buddakan at the Playground are pure, creamy decadence. With bites of bananas blanketed in chocolate and white macadamia nut ice cream, the contrasting textures satisfy any craving.
- For chocoholics —which means pretty much everybody — The Chocolate Box at Golden Nugget is a quick trip to nirvana. The shop serves up all things chocolate from juicy chocolate-covered strawberries to hand-made truffles to gelato to cocoa to chocolate covered pretzels.
- The only thing better than a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup or Rice Krispie Treat is a one pound Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup or Rice Krispie Treat. It’s Sugar at The Playground, possibly the world’s largest candy store, stock dozens of mega-size favorite treats, novelty candies and more. If too big is too much, they also carry regular sized favorites.
- Chef Pernot, the master chef at Cuba Libre at Tropicana Casino & Resort, whips up a dessert that tastes just like mother (in-law) used to make. Named for the woman who came up with the recipe, Mami Totty’s Arroz con Leche is a classic Cuban rice pudding made from a recipe handed down from his mother-in-law. Top it off with the accompanying coconut macaroon and you have the ultimate creamy, comfort food.
- There is no point in even trying to resist the temptation of two-time Food Network Challenge contestant Deborah Pellegrino’s gourmet treats. One bite of the chocolate cupcake baked with toffee, Oreo cookie filling and Reese’s peanut butter cup icing and you’ll succumb to the culinary perfection of Boardwalk Cupcakes at Bally’s Atlantic City. Go for the Chocolate Cravings six-pack featuring the Candy Bomb, Death by Chocolate, Cashew Turtle, Chocolate Haze, Choco-Latte and The Q. Sugar and gluten free options are also available.
- Leave it to Guy Fieri to transform a basic s’more into a dessert so good you’ll be tempted to just skip dinner so you can get to this. His version, which he calls S’mores Tacos, starts out with a warm chocolate brownie which is slathered with Nutella and topped off with a homemade marshmallow. You can find it at Guy Fieri’s Chophouse at Bally’s Atlantic City.
- One nibble of award-winning pastry chef Thaddeus DuBois’ delicate, melt-in-your-mouth macaroons and you could easily think you stumbled into a Parisian café. But you’ll find these homemade colorful, flavorful treats at Borgata Baking Company at Borgata Hotel, Casino & Spa. Open till the wee hours, it is also the go-to place for a late night scoop of gelato, crazy-good whoopee pies and other worth-the-calories goodies.
- Proving that not all memorable desserts have to be chocolate, The Steakhouse at Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City serves up a tasty crème brulée topped with a crunchy layer of heavenly caramel. One of their specialties, the rich, creamy vanilla custard is accompanied by ripe juicy berries floating on a pool of caramel sauce.
- For those who believe there’s no such thing as too much chocolate, the Chocolate Hurricane at Margaritaville at Resorts Casino Hotel has earned legendary status. Imagine vanilla ice cream slowly melting over rich, moist brownies, with a sliced banana and mini shortbreads and laced with Heath and KitKat candy bars, whipped cream and macadamia nuts all in a pool of chocolate and caramel sauces. The diet-buster serves two or more chocoholics.
- Full from a delicious steak dinner, but need a little sweet to cleanse the palate? Robert’s Steakhouse at Trump Taj Mahal’s got it covered with a selection of uniquely flavored sorbets designed to hit the sweet spot. Try black fig, espresso, passion fruit or ginger, lemon & dark rum for just the bit of sweet ending the meal calls for.